New Weekly Food Waste Collection Service for Tenements
Waste Services have phased in a new weekly food waste collection service for Tenements from April 2013. This will mean that you can recycle more of your waste and process your food waste in a way that helps the environment.
Initially, the service is being provided to Tenemental properties in Dumbarton, Renton and Alexandria. The remaining tenements in other areas of West Dunbartonshire will receive the service later in the year.
The new collection service could not be easier to use. We have delivered a kitchen caddy, compostable food bags to line your caddy, a communal 140 litre brown food waste bin for each tenement, together with instructions on how to use the new service.
All you need to do is line the small kitchen caddy with the provided compostable food bag. When the caddy is two thirds full, tie the bag and place the bag into the outside communal food waste bin. The communal bin will be emptied on a weekly basis by Waste Operatives. They will collect it from the bin storage area, empty the communal food waste bin and return it to the bin storage area.
Your food waste is then taken to a special processing plant where it can generate renewable energy and be recycled into fertilisers.
By using your food waste collection service you will help to cut down the amount of food waste that ends up in landfill sites. Rotting food in landfill generates methane - a greenhouse gas that is 21 times more potent than carbon dioxide.
Frequently Asked Questions
Frequently Asked Questions regarding the new Weekly Food Waste Collection Service for Tenements.
What will we provide?
To enable you to separate your food waste easily from the rest of your waste we will provide you with:
- A food caddy to collect the waste in the kitchen
- Initially, a year's supply of compostable food bags. Thereafter, any additional bags can be ordered free of charge by telephoning 01389 737000 or emailing Waste Aware. Compostable food bags will also be available from Council Buildings, Community Centres and Libraries
- An outside communal food waste bin which will be emptied weekly by Waste Operatives. They will collect it from the bin storage area, empty it and return it to the bin storage area.
What will I be able to recycle?
You will be able to recycle all of your food waste and unwanted leftovers, including the following:
- Meat and fish - raw and cooked, including bones
- Fruit and vegetables - raw and cooked (uncooked peelings can be composted at home)
- All dairy products such as eggs, cheese and yoghurt
- Bread, cakes and pastries
- Rice, pasta and beans
- Uneaten food from your plates and dishes
- Food purchased but not used (please remove all packaging)
- Tea bags and coffee grounds
- Semi-liquid foods e.g. yoghurts, smoothies
The benefits of recycling food waste
- Your waste bin will be less full if you recycle your food waste
- This service gives you the opportunity to recycle more of your waste
- It increases householder awareness of food wasted, offering the chance to reduce this and make real savings in the family food budget.
- For handy hints to reduce food waste and to make the best use of left over food please visit the Love Food Hate Waste website.