Skip to content

National Entitlement Cards

No first time application National Entitlement Cards (NEC) are currently being accepted by West Dunbartonshire Council. 

  • Elderly applications for concessionary travel are now being accepted at the Post Office.
  • More information and extensive support material can be found at

We advise that you continue to check National Entitlement Card website for any updates.  Further information can also be found on the Strathclyde Partnership for Travel website

NECPO, Transport Scotland and Young Scot has produced an FAQs resource

National Entitlement Card - bus pass for people aged 60 and over

Elderly and disabled residents in the Strathclyde region can save money on public transport with the National Entitlement Card. The card gives holders free bus travel in Scotland and reduced fares on trains and Subway in the Strathclyde area.

To apply

People aged 60 and over can get an application form (LS304) from their local Post Office or SPT travel centre.

People with disabilities can get an application form (NCT001) from the Social Work office or contact the SPT Travel Card Unit on 0141 333 3211 for advice on where to apply

Please note that we can't issue a card until a maximum of 14 days before your 60th birthday.

You will also need a passport size and quality photograph - head and shoulders only, in colour against a plain background, with nothing obscuring your face.

The documents you can use to prove your age are:

  • birth certificate
  • passport
  • photo driving licence
  • attendance allowance award letter

For proof of address, you can provide us with one of the following:

  • current Council Tax bill
  • Council rent book
  • gas, electricity or landline phone bill dated within the past three months
  • bank statement dated within the past three months
  • current television licence
  • letter from residential home confirming that you are a resident

Once you have applied for your card, you should receive it within 10 working days and once you have your card, you will not have to apply again.

Your card will have an expiry date on it, but don't worry - the system is set up to automatically send a new card out before the old one expires (which is why it is important to tell us if you change your address).

To apply

Concessionary Travel Scheme for over 60s and disabled people, for general information or to report lost or stolen cards/vouchers 0141 333 3211 - Strathclyde Partnership for Transport (SPT)

Fair Processing Notice

All concessionary card holders – over 60’s, disabled – are to be issued with a new ‘mygov’ smart card.  The cards currently held will no longer work after the end of the year.   We have been advised by the card issuer that replacement cards will only be issued to verified addresses and we are currently working with them to carry out a data match/cleanse exercise.  This is to ensure replacement cards are issued to accurate and up-to-date addresses.   

West Dunbartonshire Council (the Data Controller) will be extracting citizen contact details (name, address, post code, date of birth) from the following systems - Council Tax, SEEMIS, Citizen Relationship Management System and Care First (Blue Badge information),  for the purpose of data cleansing and matching.  It is in the legitimate interests of the Council and its citizens to ensure replacement cards are issued to correct addresses and the information extracted will be used for this sole purpose only.