Skip to content

National Entitlement Cards

No first time application National Entitlement Cards (NEC) are currently being accepted by West Dunbartonshire Council. 

  • Elderly applications for concessionary travel are now being accepted at the Post Office.
  • More information and extensive support material can be found at

We advise that you continue to check National Entitlement Card website for any updates.  Further information can also be found on the Strathclyde Partnership for Travel website

NECPO, Transport Scotland and Young Scot has produced an FAQs resource

National Entitlement Card - bus pass for people with disabilities

You will also need a passport size and quality photograph - head and shoulders only, in colour against a plain background, with nothing obscuring your face.

Applying for free bus travel with the National Entitlement Card

The documents you can use to prove your address are:

  • current Council Tax bill
  • Council rent book
  • gas, electricity or landline phone bill dated within the past three months
  • bank statement dated within the past three months
  • current television licence
  • letter from residential home confirming that you are resident

The key benefits that give automatic entitlement to a card are listed on the application form (NCT001) and are:

  • Higher rate of mobility component
  • Higher/middle rate of care component of Disability Living Allowance
  • Attendance Allowance
  • War pension mobility supplement
  • War pension constant attendance allowance

We will need to see a letter from the awarding body confirming the type and rate of benefit you get, dated within the past year.

People who are profoundly or severely deaf in both ears can get a card, and must provide a letter from their consultant or from Deaf Action Scotland. The wording required in this letter is on the form and must be copied exactly.

If you have had your driving licence revoked or refused on medical grounds (other than drink or drugs dependency) you can apply for a card. If you have epilepsy, you need to get form NCT003 filled in by your doctor. The NCT001 form explains what other forms of evidence are accepted.

If you have a mental health issue, speak to your support worker. You can get a card but you need to get form NCT002 filled in by an appropriate professional.

To apply

Concessionary Travel Scheme for over 60s and disabled people, for general information or to report lost or stolen cards/vouchers 0141 333 3211  - Strathclyde Partnership for Transport (SPT)

Fair Processing Notice

All concessionary card holders – over 60’s, disabled – are to be issued with a new ‘mygov’ smart card.  The cards currently held will no longer work after the end of the year.   We have been advised by the card issuer that replacement cards will only be issued to verified addresses and we are currently working with them to carry out a data match/cleanse exercise.  This is to ensure replacement cards are issued to accurate and up-to-date addresses.   

West Dunbartonshire Council (the Data Controller) will be extracting citizen contact details (name, address, post code, date of birth) from the following systems - Council Tax, SEEMIS, Citizen Relationship Management System and Care First (Blue Badge information),  for the purpose of data cleansing and matching.  It is in the legitimate interests of the Council and its citizens to ensure replacement cards are issued to correct addresses and the information extracted will be used for this sole purpose only.