The West Dunbartonshire Trusted Trader scheme is a local business partnership scheme aimed at increasing consumer confidence, promoting good practice within local business, and helping protect citizens from doorstep crime.
Traders shall agree to trade fairly and within the spirit of the law and good business practice.
- Provide Trading Standards with full details of ownership, trading names, premises, staffing levels and trade activities.
- Inform Trading Standards of any significant changes to the above within 14 working days of the change.
- Ensure that all employees and subcontractors are made aware of the scheme and their obligations.
- Agree to use the Referenceline system and offer questionnaires to customers.
- Agree to abide by the letter and spirit of this Code of Practice.
- Pay their annual membership fee within 28 days of the due date, otherwise membership will be revoked.
- Conduct business in the West Dunbartonshire Council area.
- Adequately train their staff for the work they carry out, and keep appropriate training records. These should be available for officers to view on request.
- Deal with complaints promptly, effectively and in accordance with the dispute resolution process. A record of all complaints received must be kept for a minimum of 1 year from conclusion of the complaint.
- If a business is a member of a trade association which has its own code of practice, the terms of that code and any arbitration process will be followed at all times.
- Provide customers, where appropriate, with a written schedule of works and a written quotation before any work commences. Any change made to this schedule shall be communicated to the consumer before any further work is carried out. Any call out charges must be notified in advance to the consumer.
- Give customers an invoice or receipt showing full details of work carried out, itemising where parts have been supplied, materials used, and labour and other costs.
- Parts replaced must be left for consumer inspection upon request.
- Not use second hand or reconditioned parts unless agreed by the consumer prior to the work commencing.
- Include VAT where appropriate in all prices including advertised prices, and comply with all relevant consumer protection legislation.
- Not seek customers by cold calling.