Submitting notice of Marriage or Civil Partnership 

West Dunbartonshire Registrars are now able to accept notice of marriage or civil partnership. Marriage/Civil Partnership notices with witness sheet and all original documents should be posted to the district of where you are getting married. If you are getting married in West Dunbartonshire please post paperwork to:

Registrars of Births etc.
Municipal Buildings
College Street
G82 1NR

If you live local and wish to hand deliver your paperwork, please contact the office on 01389 738350 (Monday –Friday 9am-4am) for more information.

When we receive your paperwork we will contact you to take payment by card over the phone.

Couples must give a minimum of 29 days notice from when we receive and process your paperwork.  For more information please contact the registrars on 01389 738350 (Monday-Friday 9am-4pm)

If you have already submitted notice to the registrar for an earlier date that had to be postponed and now plan to have your ceremony later this year please contact us on 01380 738350 (Monday-Friday 9am-4pm).

Where do I start?

The Civil Partnership (Scotland) Act 2020 has opened up Civil Partnerships to all couples. Previously Civil Partnerships were only open to same sex couples.  However this new Act opens up Civil Partnerships to both same and mixed sex couples.  From the 1st of June 2021 mixed sex couples can submit notice to enter into a Civil Partnership.

The Civil Partnership Act 2004 does not set out a legally prescribed ceremony. You may have a simple registration with the Registrar and 2 witnesses; or you may prefer to opt for a ceremony. The Registrar will work with you in suggesting a suitable form of words. Your registration/ceremony can be conducted at our office or at a mutually agreed local venue. We can take bookings for a Registrar up to 2 years in advance. You must book a Registrar whether your registration/ceremony will take place in our registration office or a local venue.  You can find out more information on fees on the price list webpage.

How do I book?

Please telephone or e-mail the Registration Office to make a booking. You will be asked to pay a non-refundable deposit. You may pay by credit/debit card.

What happens next?

When the non-refundable deposit is paid, we will send a letter confirming your booking and a receipt for monies paid.

The next step

Around 3 months before your ceremony, we will post the Civil Partnership Notice forms and explanatory Civil Partnership in Scotland leaflet to you. We advise you to submit your completed forms, relevant documents and balance of fee payable to the registration office 8 weeks before the date of your ceremony.

Please note all Civil Partnership documentation must be submitted to our Dumbarton office.

No later than 2 weeks before your ceremony

The Registrar will contact you to arrange to meet with you to discuss your requirements. This is essential to finalise the legal requirements before your ceremony.

We operate an appointment system. Please telephone our office to make an appointment on 01389 738350.

In an emergency out of hours please telephone our registration office on 01389 738350 our answering machine will give you the Registrar's mobile telephone number.

West Dunbartonshire Council offers couples civil partnership registration and civil partnership ceremonies in our office at Dumbarton and in Clydebank Town Hall, and also at other mutually agreed venues outside the registration office.  Further information is available on the venues page.

Civil Partnership to marriage conversion

As of 16 December 14, couples can opt to convert their civil partnership to marriages using 1 of 2 routes.  Further information can be found on the Civil Partnership conversion guidance page.

Marriage and Civil Partnership Guide  (PDF 572KB)