Information on how you can pay for additional childcare in West Dunbartonshire.

You may be able to obtain childcare at our nurseries. Childcare can be in addition to your child's entitlement from the Scottish Government, or where there is no entitlement.

Childcare entitlement for 3-5 year olds

Your child is entitled to a childcare place in our nurseries in the two years before starting primary school. The entitlement becomes valid at the start of the school term after their 3rd birthday.

More information on nursery admissions.

Arranging childcare

To arrange additional childcare please speak to the Head of Centre, who can confirm if the hours are available.

To apply:

  • complete the request for childcare form on which you give more details of the hours required
  • you and the Head of Centre sign this form to show that you have agreed to the Terms and Conditions and agree to pay the fees
  • you will be given an individual customer ID which will be shown on the invoices sent to you
  • your childcare centre can provide you with an up to date list of childcare charges


You must pay the agreed fees and no refund or reductions can be made for hours not used. You will find information on how to pay the childcare on the reverse of your invoice.

Please note:

  • if you ask for part of an hour then this will be rounded up to the full hour
  • extra hours will be shown on your invoice 
  • we may stop providing childcare if you do not pay your invoice

Additional information

Meals are paid to the centre at the normal nursery rate for lunches.

If your child does not attend due to sickness we will charge at the full rate. You should let the Head of Centre know as soon as possible if your child will not attend due to sickness

School holidays

Some centres can provide limited childcare during school holidays, please check at your centre.

If you choose to access childcare over the full year we will not charge for a maximum of 2 weeks holiday from nursery. You can then pay half-rate to retain your child's place for a further 2 weeks.

Please note:

  • we will charge all other absences at full rate
  • we will charge full rate if you take holidays during term time

Changes to your child's attendance


You can change your child's hours on a permanent basis by completing a new Request for Childcare Form. Any changes must be agreed by the Head of Centre.

Temporary changes

We may be able to provide additional childcare for a variety of reasons, e.g. overtime, shift working. If you work shifts we may be able to arrange different hours per week at the discretion of the Head of Centre.

To arrange:

  • speak to your Head of Centre
  • you must complete the request form for additional hours / one off childcare

Cancellation of childcare

We require one month's notice in writing. You must give this written notice to the Head of Centre.

Please note:

  • if you do not give written notice there may be additional charges
  • we may cancel childcare on an individual basis in exceptional circumstances